Table of Contents
This is despite Google’s algorithm update a few years ago to penalize sites that showed intrusive popups, especially on mobile devices. Regardless, all the major companies and organizations around the world still use pop-ups and haven’t lost traffic. The reason is that they use popups the right way. Specifically, they don’t show popups right when someone accesses the website. They wait for a user to browse the site for at least 20 to 30 seconds or right before they leave the site. In essence, a pop-up is a last-ditch effort for the user to provide their name and email address or buy something.
WordPress popup plugins remain the best way to grow your newsletter list size and continue to reach out to potential customers who may not have been interested in what your site had to offer the first time. So, what is the right way to use WordPress popup plugins on your website?
- Give them a clear incentive or value: The first tip is to give your users something of value to entice them to sign-up. Don’t just have a popup that asks people to sign-up for your newsletter list. People need to be incentivized. You can offer items of value such as a downloadable eBook, case study, whitepaper, or discount code. This way, you are giving away something of value in consideration of their email address.
- Pop up on exit intent so as not to annoy your audience: As mentioned at the beginning of this blog, many Internet users find popups intrusive, irritating and infuriating when they show up as soon as the site loads. To avoid annoying your audience, use an exit-intent popup. These kinds of popups track the users’ mouse cursor or tapping movement. When the user attempts to navigate away from the site, the popup loads. To do this, you need a third-party WordPress pop-up plugin.
There are hundreds of these applications – that then creates a problem. What should you look for and how do you sort through the clutter? Well, we’ve done all the heavy lifting for you! Below are five of the best WordPress popup list building plugins.
- Ninja Popups
- Convert Plus
- Elementor Pro
Below we discuss each of them in detail, looking at the main features, targeting options, pricing, and much more.
OptinMonster is hands down one of the most powerful WordPress popup list building plugins in the market. At the time of publishing this blog, the tool had over 900k active installations and had a near-perfect rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. The tool is regularly updated and has an active support page on WordPress.org.
With OptinMonster, you can increase your email subscribers, sales, and grow your business. Some of the main features that come with this application include:
- Separate Interface: While it is a WordPress plugin, you build forms in a separate interface where you create a user account. This feature has allowed the developer to create advanced features that aren’t possible with typical WordPress list building plugins.
- Drag-and-drop builder: With the drag-and-drop builder, you can build pop-ups quickly and intuitively by moving around various design elements including dynamic elements such as countdown timers and wheel spinners, all of which change based on user behaviour. You do all this without having to write a single line of code.
- A/B testing and multivariate testing: A/B testing refers to a technique where audience response to changing variables is tested to determine the best configuration for maximum conversions. Unfortunately, caching plugins can skew the tests. Also, wp-ajax that is used to set up popup analytics slows down sites and affects user experience. OptinMonster found a way around this and offers advanced testing and popup analytics.
- Smart Success: It also comes with this fantastic feature that allows you to display different offers to users who have already converted in the past. This is a great way to avoid annoying your audience.
- Speed: OptinMonster is built for speed. The developers have put a lot of effort into ensuring the tool does not affect page loading time and that it renders well on all types of devices.
- Pre-Built Templates: To save time, you can take advantage of the pre-built templates. There is no need to build a form from scratch unless you really must. The developer’s template gallery comes with hundreds of templates.
- Integrations: OptinMonster integrates with more email marketing service providers than any other WordPress popup list building tool. Integrations are currently available for Active Campaign, AWeber, Campaign Monitor, Constant Contact, Conversio, ConvertKit, Custom HTML, Customer.io, Drip, Eloqua, Email Octopus, Emma, Feedblitz, GetResponse, HubSpot, iContact, Infusionsoft, iPost, Klaviyo, Mad Mimi, MailChimp, MailerLite, Mailpoet, Marketo, Ontraport, Pardot, SendInBlue, SendLoop, SendPulse, SharpSpring, TotalSend, Webhook, and more being added regularly.
In case you are wondering, OptinMonster trademarked the phrase “Exit-Intent”. So, you can be sure they know their stuff. Their signature Exit-Intent® technology ensures you engage abandoning visitors and convert them into subscribers. Research has proven that this technology can convert an additional 2 – 4% of your website visitors.
In addition to exit intent, the popup can also be configured to trigger upon certain events or actions such as:
- Mouse and keyboard Inactivity
You can also target your popups using several different parameters such as:
- New vs returning visitors
- Referrer type
- Specific page
- Use of ad blockers
The basic plan starts at $9 per month (billed annually). This plan comes with essential tools to get more leads from your existing traffic on one website and is valid for up to 3500 pageviews. For more websites and pageviews, you can opt for Plus, Pro, or Growth package at $19, $29, and $49 per month, respectively.
Where To Buy
You can install OptinMonster on your website by buying it directly from the OptinMonster website and uploading it to your site’s plugins section.
This is one of Code Canyon’s best-selling plugins. You can create all manner of popups and the tool is one of the few that can evade ad-blockers. With over 38,000 sales at the time of publishing this blog, Ninja Popups had a near-perfect 4.32-star rating out of 1,725 reviews over 8 years.
Some of the features that have made this tool a darling with WordPress users include:
- Drag and drop builder: Ninja Popups features an intuitive drag and drop builder that ensures you build fast and without the need to code.
- Anti-AdBlock technology: With this tool, you can rest assured that your audience will always see your offers even if they are using an adblocker. This, in our opinion, is the key selling point of Ninja Popups.
- Design and layout options: The tool allows you to configure the exact position on a webpage that you want your popup to appear. You can also choose from over 74 animations and over 76 popup templates.
- Built-in analytics and A/B testing: Ninja Popups comes with built-in analytics and the functionality to conduct A/B testing. You can also integrate it with Google Analytics Event Tracking.
- Integrations: The tool comes with full API integration with over 48 major email marketing services.
The triggering options include:
- Scroll depth
The targeting options aren’t as extensive as OptinMonster but you can target popups to appear on specific types of pages and posts.
Ninja Popups does not have different price levels. You pay one price and access all the features. The tool costs $27 for a single license. This comes with 6 months’ support which can be extended to 12 months upon payment of an additional $8.25.
Where To Buy
Ninja Popups is available on the Code Canyon website. After purchasing it, simply upload it in the plugins section of WordPress and activate it to start using it on your site.
The developers of Convert Plus bill it as the “World’s Easiest Popup Plugin”. And they have good reason to do so. If you are low on time, budget and don’t have the patience to build a popup from scratch then you should consider Convert Plus.
With Convert Plus, you can effectively build email subscribers, deliver coupons, generate social followers and shares, promote videos, and much more. The features that stand out immediately include:
- Conversion-ready pop-up templates: It ships with a huge library of stunning templates that user-friendly and highly customizable.
- Positioning options: In addition to the standard layouts, you get plenty of additional popup positioning options including sidebars, notification bars, and much more.
- Animations and fonts: The tool has over 80 entry and exit animations for your popups and ships with over 700 fonts to help you with the eye candy.
- Realtime Analytics: Built-in analytics to help you see what is working on your site and to replicate success. You can also conduct real-time A/B split testing.
- Marketing integrations: The tool integrates with over 30 popular email marketing services.
Triggers can be set based on any of the following parameters or a combination:
- Exit intent
- Launch after content
Targeting can also be set based on the following parameters:
- Referrer detection
- New or old visitors
- Device used
- Cookie controls
- Logged in users
There is a single price level which is $24 for a single license. This gives access to all features and 6 months’ support. You can extend support to 12 months by paying an additional $7.13.
Where To Buy
Convert Plus is available directly from their website here. After you purchase the tool you will be able to download a zipped file. Upload this to the plugin section of WordPress and activate it.
Bloom is a WordPress popup list building plugin from Elegant Themes. Over the years, Elegant Themes have come to be known for their stylish WordPress themes and the Divi Page Builder that revolutionized the way sites were built.
The same design ethos that goes into their themes is evident in the Bloom plugin.
- Best dashboard: Bloom has one of the best looking and easy-to-use dashboards. Everything is arranged neatly and logically.
- 100+ Pre-made Templates: To start you off, you have a choice of over 100 templates. What’s more, you can customize just about every aspect of your popup. This makes up for the lack of a drag and drop builder.
- Display types: You choose from six different display types each with unique triggering options.
- Advanced analytics: As with the best plugins, it comes with built-in analytics and allows you to run A/B split tests.
- Integrations: Bloom integrates with over 19 email marketing services with more coming on-board regularly.
Use the display settings to determine where popups will appear and when they will appear. You can narrow down to specific pages, posts, and post types.
You can also trigger your popups to appear based on the following parameters:
- After a comment
- After purchasing
- Scroll depth
As you have probably noticed, Bloom’s main disadvantage is that they don’t offer an Exit Intent trigger.
Bloom comes packaged as part of an Elegant Theme’s membership which goes for a one-off fee of $89 and a year’s support. This is pricey if all you are interested in is Bloom and not the entire Elegant Themes package.
Where To Buy
To purchase Bloom visit the Elegant Themes website. After you purchase the package, you will need to install one of the Elegant Themes to be able to use Bloom.
You have probably already heard of or are using Elementor WordPress website builder, that offers design capabilities never before seen on WordPress. What you may not know is that Elementor Pro comes with an amazing popup builder. The developers claim that it is the only design-oriented popup builder and we can’t argue with them.
Elementor allows you to build beautiful fully functioning popups right from the frontend. You don’t need any coding skills and the entire process is seamless.
The main features include:
- All-in-one-solution: Elementor Pro is seamlessly built into your WordPress site. You can add any kind of content on your website directly to your popups without needing to code anything or go through a setup process.
- Build any kind of popup: With Elementor Pro, you can build any kind of popup including; Announcements, Content Lock and Upgrades, Email Subscriptions, Exit Intent, Lead Capture, Login Forms, Promotion and Sale Banners, Related Products and Upsells, and Welcome popups.
- Unlimited Use: Unlike many competing products on the market, once you purchase it there are no use restrictions. You can create unlimited pop-ups, and there are no page view or interaction limitations.
- Extensive layout and design options: If you can conceive it, you can design it. Elementor Pro has a huge library of layout and design options for your popups. You can build them square, round, banners, skyscrapers, and make them fly-in, slide-in, full screen, and animate in many different ways.
- Popup Templates: If you don’t have time to create from scratch, the tool comes with a template library containing over 100 stylish templates.
- Tutorials: Elementor Pro is one of the most user-friendly WordPress popup list building plugin. Short tutorials offer you the best practices and valuable tips to implement in your designs.
- Easy integrations: The tool integrates well with popular marketing tools such as ActiveCampaign, ConvertKit, Discord, Drip, GetResponse, HubSpot, MailChimp, MailerLite, MailPoet, and Slack.
The only disadvantage we noted with this tool is that A/B testing and built-in analytics are lacking.
Elementor Pro has several advanced targeting options that are triggered by different scenarios.
- Conditions: You can choose up to six sections of your site where you would like to show popups.
- Triggers: You can also set up six triggers that lead to the display of the popup. These triggers are exit intent, page load, scroll, scroll to element, clicks, and periods of inactivity.
- Advanced Rules: There are also several advanced rules to trigger popups when a user meets certain requirements. For example, you can set a rule to show a popup if a user is using a specific device or arrives at your site from a specific URL. Other examples of advanced rules included displaying popups when the site achieves a set number of page views.
At $49 per year for one site, Elementor Pro comes at a bargain compared to many other plugins on the market with similar features. Additional websites will cost you $99 and $199 per year for 3 and 1,000 websites, respectively.
Where To Buy
Elementor Pro plugin is available on the developer’s webpage. You can click here to buy it now. After making your purchase, download it and then upload it to your WordPress website and activate it.
It’s simple, clear, and proven: popup plugins are a great way to grow your email marketing list. You just have to make sure you use them correctly because they have the potential to annoy and irritate., which you don’t want to do. Try out one of these (or other) popup plugins and see how it makes a difference to your subscriber list.