Say hello to WordPress.
WordPress is a free, open-source software that allows you to create a beautiful website, blog, or app. It was officially launched in May 2003.
WordPress gives users the freedom to build. The freedom to change. The freedom to share.
WordPress is designed for everyone, emphasizing accessibility, performance, security, and ease of use.
WordPress is built for simplicity and flexibility. This means you can get online and publishing in no longer than five minutes, and you can create any kind of website you want – from a simple personal blog all the way up to a complex e-commerce website.
WordPress does not discriminate and is licensed under the General Public Licence (GPL), which protects your freedoms.
The Core Freedoms offered under the open-source GPL to all users of WordPress:
- The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
- The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish.
- The freedom to redistribute.
- The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others.
There are over 60 million WordPress websites up and running around the world, which equates to more than 38% of websites worldwide.
When you create with WordPress, you own all your data, content and website.
There are two versions of WordPress: wordpress.com and wordpress.org. The main difference is that through your .com site, WordPress is your host. When you choose a .org site, you host your own site through Bluehost, DreamHost, SiteGround, etc.
There are over 55,000 plugins you can use with your site, each one helping you customize your site to your specific needs.
You can choose your own style with 7,889 themes at your fingertips.
WordPress has a mobile app, so you can create and edit on the go. WordPress is continually finding new ways to improve upon itself. Currently, WordPress is working on Phase 2 of the Gutenberg project. The Gutenberg project is a WordPress plugin designed to broaden your access to a web presence and make that process easier.
The Most Popular WordPress Plugins
With 55,000+ free plugins available on the plugin repository (and thousands more on the premium/paid-for marketplace) there’s a plugin for pretty much anything you want. This is what makes WordPress so great (though, arguably, it’s also what contributes to vulnerabilities and bugs!)
WordPress Website Showcase 🤩
Out of the millions of WordPress websites, did you know that some household brand names also use WordPress as their CMS of choice? Here are just some famous brand websites built using WordPress that you may not have known about…
Want to know more about WordPress?
- The Month in WordPress: July 2021 August 3, 2021WordPress is global in reach and open source in nature. And you would assume that what allows the software to be used by anyone would also enable it to be built by anyone. After all, your location doesn’t matter, and who employs you also doesn’t matter. And your relative social standing certainly shouldn’t matter. As […]
- WP Briefing: Episode 14: The Art and Science of Accessibility August 2, 2021In this episode, Josepha Haden Chomphosy discusses the nuances of building accessible software, the differences between access, usability, and accessibility, and how this all applies to the WordPress project. Have a question you’d like answered? You can submit them to [email protected], either written or as a voice recording. Credits Editor: Dustin Hartzler Logo: Beatriz Fialho Production: Chloé Bringmann Transcription: […]
- Configuring Theme Design with theme.json July 29, 2021Starting in WordPress 5.8, a new tool — “theme.json” — is available to use in your theme. Maybe you’re hearing about it for the first time, or maybe you’re testing and developing themes with it already. Either way, I’m glad you’re here because it’s an exciting time for WordPress themes. This post provides a quick introduction […]
- WordPress 5.8 Tatum July 20, 2021Introducing 5.8 “Tatum”, our latest and greatest release, named in honor of the legendary jazz pianist Art Tatum. This release includes an all new widget editor powered by blocks, major technical tools for building block themes, as well as newly streamlined workflow tools.
- WP Briefing: Episode 13: Cherishing WordPress Diversity July 19, 2021In this episode, Josepha Haden Chomphosy discusses the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to the fabric of the WordPress project and how we can move from a place of welcoming it to cherishing it. Have a question you’d like answered? You can submit them to [email protected], either written or as a voice recording. Credits […]
- WordPress 5.8 Release Candidate 3 July 14, 2021The third release candidate for WordPress 5.8 is now available! WordPress 5.8 is slated for release on July 20, 2021, and we need your help to get there—if you have not tried 5.8 yet, now is the time! You can test the WordPress 5.8 release candidate 3 in any of these three ways: Install and […]
- WordPress 5.8 Release Candidate 2 July 7, 2021The second release candidate for WordPress 5.8 is now available! 🎉 WordPress 5.8 is slated for release on July 20, 2021, and we need your help to get there—if you have not tried 5.8 yet, now is the time! You can test the WordPress 5.8 release candidate 2 in any of these three ways: Install […]