Say hello to WordPress.
WordPress is a free, open-source software that allows you to create a beautiful website, blog, or app. It was officially launched in May 2003.
WordPress gives users the freedom to build. The freedom to change. The freedom to share.
WordPress is designed for everyone, emphasizing accessibility, performance, security, and ease of use.
WordPress is built for simplicity and flexibility. This means you can get online and publishing in no longer than five minutes, and you can create any kind of website you want – from a simple personal blog all the way up to a complex e-commerce website.
WordPress does not discriminate and is licensed under the General Public Licence (GPL), which protects your freedoms.
The Core Freedoms offered under the open-source GPL to all users of WordPress:
- The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
- The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish.
- The freedom to redistribute.
- The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others.
There are over 60 million WordPress websites up and running around the world, which equates to more than 38% of websites worldwide.
When you create with WordPress, you own all your data, content and website.
There are two versions of WordPress: wordpress.com and wordpress.org. The main difference is that through your .com site, WordPress is your host. When you choose a .org site, you host your own site through Bluehost, DreamHost, SiteGround, etc.
There are over 55,000 plugins you can use with your site, each one helping you customize your site to your specific needs.
You can choose your own style with 7,889 themes at your fingertips.
WordPress has a mobile app, so you can create and edit on the go. WordPress is continually finding new ways to improve upon itself. Currently, WordPress is working on Phase 2 of the Gutenberg project. The Gutenberg project is a WordPress plugin designed to broaden your access to a web presence and make that process easier.
The Most Popular WordPress Plugins
With 55,000+ free plugins available on the plugin repository (and thousands more on the premium/paid-for marketplace) there’s a plugin for pretty much anything you want. This is what makes WordPress so great (though, arguably, it’s also what contributes to vulnerabilities and bugs!)
WordPress Website Showcase 🤩
Out of the millions of WordPress websites, did you know that some household brand names also use WordPress as their CMS of choice? Here are just some famous brand websites built using WordPress that you may not have known about…
Want to know more about WordPress?
- WP Briefing: Episode 67: Openverse & Photo Directory Rewind November 27, 2023WordPress Executive Director, Josepha Haden Chomphosy, returns to a recent episode of the WordPress Briefing, which discussed two resources for openly licensed media in the WordPress project– Openverse and Photo Directory– and how they differ from one another!
- State of the Word 2023 – Madrid, Spain November 15, 2023The countdown is on for this year's State of the Word! If you missed the initial announcement a few weeks ago, mark your calendars for December 11, 2023. State of the Word is the annual keynote in which WordPress co-founder Matt Mullenweg celebrates the progress of the open source project and offers a glimpse into […]
- Introducing Twenty Twenty-Four November 13, 2023Meet Twenty Twenty-Four, the most versatile default theme yet—bundled with WordPress 6.4 and ready to make it uniquely yours.
- WP Briefing: Episode 66: Advocating Open Source Solutions November 13, 2023WordPress Executive Director, Josepha Haden Chomphosy, speaks to the strategic approach to integrating open source solutions within your company and offers insight into initiating open source advocacy conversations. Tune in for a session that could redefine your company's technological approach.
- The Month in WordPress – October 2023 November 10, 2023September-October 2023 was yet another fun and eventful chapter in WordPress, with more WordCamps hosting exciting discussions, knowledge sharing, and learning. This month also welcomed the release of WordPress 6.4 and the Twenty Twenty-Four theme. Let’s check it out. Meet WordPress 6.4 “Shirley” WordPress 6.4 “Shirley” was released on November 7, 2023, and named after […]
- WordPress 6.4.1 Maintenance Release November 9, 2023WordPress 6.4.1 is now available! This minor release features four bug fixes. You can review a summary of the maintenance updates in this release by reading the Release Candidate announcement or view the list of tickets on Trac. WordPress 6.4.1 is a short-cycle release. If you have sites that support automatic background updates, the update process will […]
- WordPress 6.4 “Shirley” November 7, 2023WordPress 6.4 "Shirley" is here! Named in honor of the iconic jazz singer and pianist Shirley Horn, this release was made possible by over 600 contributors. Download WordPress 6.4 Shirley today.