Say hello to WordPress.
WordPress is a free, open-source software that allows you to create a beautiful website, blog, or app. It was officially launched in May 2003.
WordPress gives users the freedom to build. The freedom to change. The freedom to share.
WordPress is designed for everyone, emphasizing accessibility, performance, security, and ease of use.
WordPress is built for simplicity and flexibility. This means you can get online and publishing in no longer than five minutes, and you can create any kind of website you want – from a simple personal blog all the way up to a complex e-commerce website.
WordPress does not discriminate and is licensed under the General Public Licence (GPL), which protects your freedoms.
The Core Freedoms offered under the open-source GPL to all users of WordPress:
- The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.
- The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish.
- The freedom to redistribute.
- The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others.
There are over 60 million WordPress websites up and running around the world, which equates to more than 38% of websites worldwide.
When you create with WordPress, you own all your data, content and website.
There are two versions of WordPress: wordpress.com and wordpress.org. The main difference is that through your .com site, WordPress is your host. When you choose a .org site, you host your own site through Bluehost, DreamHost, SiteGround, etc.
There are over 55,000 plugins you can use with your site, each one helping you customize your site to your specific needs.
You can choose your own style with 7,889 themes at your fingertips.
WordPress has a mobile app, so you can create and edit on the go. WordPress is continually finding new ways to improve upon itself. Currently, WordPress is working on Phase 2 of the Gutenberg project. The Gutenberg project is a WordPress plugin designed to broaden your access to a web presence and make that process easier.
The Most Popular WordPress Plugins
With 55,000+ free plugins available on the plugin repository (and thousands more on the premium/paid-for marketplace) there’s a plugin for pretty much anything you want. This is what makes WordPress so great (though, arguably, it’s also what contributes to vulnerabilities and bugs!)
WordPress Website Showcase 🤩
Out of the millions of WordPress websites, did you know that some household brand names also use WordPress as their CMS of choice? Here are just some famous brand websites built using WordPress that you may not have known about…
Want to know more about WordPress?
- WordPress 5.9 RC3 January 18, 2022Download to test the third Release Candidate (RC3) for WordPress 5.9.
- WP Briefing: Episode 23: A letter from WordPress’ Executive Director January 17, 2022As we greet a new year, WordPress’ Executive Director writes a letter to the project and community that speaks to the hopes of the year ahead. Have a question you’d like answered? You can submit them to wpbriefi[email protected], either written or as a voice recording. Credits Editor: Dustin Hartzler Logo: Beatriz Fialho Production: Chloé Bringmann Song: Fearless First […]
- WordPress 5.9 RC 2 January 11, 2022The second Release Candidate (RC2) for WordPress 5.9 is available! The final release is slated for January 25, 2022.
- WordPress 5.8.3 Security Release January 6, 2022This security release features four security fixes. Because this is a security release, it is recommended that you update your sites immediately. All versions since WordPress 3.7 have also been updated. WordPress 5.8.3 is a short-cycle security release. The next major release will be version 5.9, which is already in the Release Candidate stage. You […]
- The Month in WordPress – December 2021 January 5, 2022December was a busy month for the WordPress community. In the latest episode of the WP Briefing podcast, WordPress Executive Director Josepha Haden Chomphosy shares a carol of thanks and shows her gratitude to all the people who make the WordPress project a success. (…) I know that we have gotten so much done together […]
- WordPress 5.9 RC 1 January 4, 2022The WordPress 5.9 Release Candidate 1 is available. The final release is slated for January 25, 2022.
- People of WordPress: Collins Agbonghama December 30, 2021Collins Agbonghama, a web developer from Nigeria, Africa, shares how WordPress gives him a sustainable income and a better future.